THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT SAN ANTONIO
LIFE SCIENCES EDUCATION FACULTY POSITION
The Department of Biology at The University of Texas at San Antonio invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Life Sciences Education at the Assistant Professor level starting Fall of 2014. Applicants for this position should have experience in teaching and research in Life Sciences education, preferably in a large classroom environment. Applicants will need to demonstrate a strong disciplinary content knowledge in biological sciences, established expertise in, and commitment to biology education plus present evidence of scholarship related to teaching and learning, and the capacity for leadership and interdisciplinary collaboration. Part of this program may include teaching and curriculum development and course redesign of lecture and laboratory curricula for introductory and other courses central to the biology degree, outreach activities in the educational community and development of a science teacher training program. The successful candidate will demonstrate scholarly excellence with the capacity to develop and sustain a creative, extramurally funded research program in education-related work in the biological sciences. The Department offers a Ph.D., M.S., and B.S., degrees in biology. Required qualifications include a doctoral degree in Biology or Life Sciences education or a related field and academic achievement in Life Science education. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants must submit an original signed letter of application stating position applied for, current dated vita, description of experience in Life Sciences education and the names and addresses of three professional references. These materials should be sent to: Chair, Educator Search Committee, Department of Biology, The University of Texas at San Antonio, One UTSA Circle, San Antonio, Texas 78249-0662, or emailed to email@example.com. Applicants who are selected for interviews must be able to show proof that they are eligible and qualified to work in the United States by time of hire. The University of Texas at San Antonio is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For available staff positions, please go to the UTSA Human Resources Employment page
Summer Work Study Position Available
The Biology Department’s Biochemistry teaching laboratory is seeking a work study qualified student to assist with various duties (see below) during the 2013 summer semester (with the potential for continued work study employment in Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 semesters). If interested, please contact Dr. Pramod Kumar, Laboratory Services Supervisor for the biochemistry lab, at 458-5497 or email Pramod.firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Purpose of the work study position:
• Assistant Coordinator/Instructors with lab preparations and lab maintenance
2. The student's duties and responsibilities:
• Daily set-up and take down equipment for the lab experiments during the semester
• Maintain lab in working condition as well as the chemical inventory
• Prepare chemicals/ reagents
• Clean glassware used in the laboratory
• Make handouts, print and collate exams
• Receive general store deliveries and run campus errands
• Handle live frogs (feeding, maintaining the feed, keep humidity and temperature log)
• Create/update/maintain documents and electronic files using Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Assist with special projects and Ambassador projects
• Other miscellaneous duties related to lab as per needed
3. Job qualifications
• Maintain confidentiality
• Student must be qualified to receive work study funds
• Student should be available to work up to 19 hours per week and have some flexibility to adjust work schedule to meet demands of the lab.
• Adhere to dress code appropriate for lab environment. (No cut-offs, shorts, flip-flops during the regular semesters). Jeans are ok with no holes or torn.
• Good telephone etiquette and customer service experience necessary.
• Work with accuracy and demonstrate self-initiative
• Available to work requested office hours
• Along with or in conjunction with other work study, provide office coverage through most of the work day
• Ability to work in occasional fast-paced environment with accuracy. Should demonstrate ability to handle multiple interruptions with pleasant demeanor.
4. The job's wage rate or range
• $7.50 per hour or higher depending on qualifications.